Arizona TV Station Update - April/May 2016
It's finally here!! As always, questions, additions, comments and corrections welcome.
- KHMP-LD 18.x Las Vegas NV (DNV Spectrum Holdings, LLC) has applied for and been granted a license to cover its transmitter location change to Black Mountain. Technical specifications: Ch 18; TL 36° 0' 34" N, 115° 0' 22" W (Black Mtn.); ERP 15 kW directional; HAAT 310 m.
- KPVT-LD 2.x (27) Pahrump NV (DNV Spectrum Holdings, LLC) has applied for and been granted a license to cover construction of a digital companion channel to KPVT-LP 30 Pahrump NV. Technical specifications: Ch 27; TL 36° 0' 34" N, 115° 0' 22" W (Black Mtn.); ERP 15 kW directional; HAAT 310 m.
- KTTU 18.X (19) Tucson (Tucker Operating Co. Inc. DBA KTTU Television) has added Heroes & Icons on channel 18.3.
- K18JL-D 25.x Phoenix (Mako Communications LLC) has returned to the air after a somewhat lengthy absence, and added a subchannel. Channel 25.1 has resumed full-time AFTV programming, and channel 25.2 is airing the Liquidation Channel.
- KPHE-LD 44.x (16) Phoenix (Lotus TV of Phoenix LLC) has shuffled the latter half of its lineup, dropping Live Gospel TV, Salud and SmartLifeStyle AZ from channels 44.4, 44.5 and 44.6, and replacing them with JTV, The Family Channel and TVReal, a locally-produced Spanish-language Christian channel. JTV, which also airs on Daystar's channel 58.1, was last seen on Mako's channel 22.6. The Family Channel had been on channel 44.3 previously. TVReal was last seen on Globe LPTV's channel 50.3, and at first, identified as channel 50.3 on-air, but has now changed its ID to TVREAL44.6.
- KUDF-LD 14.x Tucson () has added Telemax programming on channel 14.2, moving the for lease graphic to channel 14.3.
- KLAS 8.2 (7) Las Vegas NV (KLAS LLC) has begun to air MeTV programming in 16:9 aspect ratio, while remaining a 480i standard definition signal.
- KLVX 10.2 (11) Las Vegas NV (Clark County School District) has begun to air Create programming in 16:9 aspect ratio, while remaining a 480i standard definition signal.
- KHSV 21.x (2) Las Vegas NV (KUPN Licensee, Inc.) has added Decades on channel 21.2 and Comet on channel 21.3, giving the station four subchannels. Antenna TV on channel 21.4 is in 4:3 aspect ratio 480i SD, while the rest are in 16:9 aspect ratio 480i SD.
- KEGS-LD 30.x (24) Las Vegas NV (Mako Communications LLC) has replaced the color bars on channel 30.1 with programming from Grace TV USA, a Hispanic Christian network.
- K41IO-D Las Vegas NV (Enlace Christian Television, Inc.) briefly resumed broadcasting, then disappeared.
- KPVT-LD 2.x (27) Pahrump NV (DNV Spectrum Holdings LLC) has begun broadcasting in Las Vegas. So far, a channel guide is on 2.1 while BIZ TV is on 2.2. The station is claiming to eventually have 8 subchannels.
- KHMP-LD 18.x Pahrump NV (DNV Spectrum Holdings LLC) has resumed broadcasting in Las Vegas. The station shows 8 subchannels, with a channel guide on 18.1, TUFF TV on 18.2, and Old School 87.7, a FrankenFM out of Atlanta, on 18.3.
- K43FO-D Las Vegas NV (Three Angels Broadcasting Network, Inc.) has placed The Hope Channel on 43.3, to replace the departed Dare To Dream channel.
- KPAZ-TV 21.x (20) Phoenix (Trinity Broadcasting of Arizona, Inc.) has requested an involuntary pro forma transfer of control due to the death of board member Janice Crouch on May 31, 2016. Laurie Crouch, wife of board member Matthew Crouch, will replace Jan on the TBN board.
- KPPX-TV 51.x Tolleson (America 51, LP) has requested 90-day extensions of its two pro forma transfer of control requests, claiming the need for extra time to complete organizational, governance and transfer documents for 60 TV stations.
- KECY-TV 9.x El Centro CA (NPG of Yuma-El Centro LLC) requested and was granted a pro forma transfer of control, which is actually a statement of the actual control of the licenses. Brothers Henry Bradley and David Bradley, Jr., each are stated to control 50% of the company. Ownership is restated to continue to give 50% of the company to each brother, but Henry's shares are actually controlled by his sons Brian and Eric, with each controlling 10.83% of the company in their own trusts, and 14.16% in a trust established by Henry. David continues to control 33.33% directly, with 5.56% control given to each of his three children, Katherine, Stephane and David III. The transaction also affects the ownership of KESE-LP 35 Yuma. The transaction has been consummated.
- K24CY St. George UT (Larry H. Miller Communications Corp.), as part of a transaction with parent station KJZZ-TV Salt Lake City, has been sold to Sinclair Group, which already owns KUTV in Salt Lake City and KMYU in St. George. The assignment of license has been approved by the FCC.
- K16DS-D St. George UT and K27MK-D St. George UT (Southwest Media LLC), along with parent KCSG Cedar City UT, have been sold to West American Finance Corporation. The assignment of license has been approved by the FCC and consummated.
Construction permits and STAs granted
- KLSV-LD 50.x Las Vegas NV (Biltmore Broadcasting Las Vegas Inc.) was granted its request for temporary authority to broadcast using ATSC 3.0 parameters during the National Association of Broadcasters Convention in April, and carried through on its plan. The station has returned to normal operations and is once again broadcasting three shopping channels and a for-lease banner.
Applications filed / STAs requested
- KPPX-TV 51.x Tolleson (America 51, LP) has proposed to switch from RF channel 51 to RF channel 31, pursuant to an agreement with T-Mobile, licensee of lower-700 MHz Block A, which is adjacent to TV channel 51. The FCC has commented that the change is permissible from a technical and legal standpoint, and is in the public interest, as it permits T-Mobile to operate without interference from a full-power TV station. Public comment is invited through May 14 on the FCC's proposal to amend the Table of Allotments to specify channel 31 at Tolleson AZ instead of channel 51. Technical specifications: Ch: 51 current, 31 proposed; TL: 33° 20' 3" N, 112° 3' 38" W (no change); ERP: 1000 kW non-directional current, 645 kW non-directional proposed; HAAT: 536 m. current, 548 m. proposed.
- KTAZ 39.x Phoenix (NBC Telemundo License LLC) has received a $3,000 Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture due to failure to publicize the existence and location of its Children's Television Programming Reports for three consecutive years during the past license period. The station has since taken steps to prevent future failures, which mitigated, but did not prevent, the forfeiture.
- KHRR 40.x Tucson (NBC Telemundo License LLC) has received a $2,000 Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture due to failure to publicize the existence and location of its Children's Television Programming Reports for five consecutive quarters during the past license period. The station has since taken steps to prevent future failures, which mitigated, but did not prevent, the forfeiture.
- KRPO-LD 21.x Quartzsite (Jenifer Juarez) has refiled its 2014 license renewal application. See the March 2016 update for the backstory to this drama.
The following stations have filed for renewal but the licenses have not yet been renewed:
- KHRR 40.x Tucson (NBC Telemundo License LLC)
- KJPO-LD 49.x Parker (Iglesia Manmin Toda La Creacion USA INC.)
- KRPO-LD 21.x Quartzsite (Jenifer Juarez)
- KTAZ 39.x Phoenix (NBC Telemundo License LLC)
- KZVE-LP 30 Littlefield (Hispanic Christian Community Network, Inc.)
- KMCC 34.x (32) Laughlin NV (Cranston Acquisition, LLC)
- K33MB-D 34.X Laughlin NV (Cranston Acquisition, LLC)
- KVTE-LP 35 Las Vegas NV (Mountain Ridge Holdings, Inc.)
- KBLR 39.x (40) Paradise NV (Telemundo Las Vegas License LLC)
- KSNV 3.x (22) Las Vegas NV (KUPN Licensee, LLC)
- KVCW 33.x (29) Las Vegas NV (KUPN Licensee, LLC)
- KMYU 12.x (9) St. George UT (KUTV Licensee, LLC)
- K07SC Hildale UT (KUTV Licensee, LLC)
- K49AS-D 2.x Santa Clara UT (KUTV Licensee, LLC)
- K08PC-D 2.x Hildale UT (KUTV Licensee, LLC)