Arizona TV Station Update - January 2016
As always, questions, additions, comments and corrections welcome.
- KPNX 12.x Mesa (Multimedia Holdings Corporation) will retain its NBC affiliation, following a long-term affiliation agreement between NBC and Tegna Media. The affiliation was renewed for all 17 of Tegna's NBC stations.
- K38IZ-D 38.x Phoenix (Spanish Independent Broadcast Network, Inc.) has added a new subchannel, 38.6, which is the new home of Retro TV. On channel 38.4, it looks like Zuus Country has rebranded, going back to The Country Network, including use of the old TCN logo.
- KUDF-LD 14.x Tucson (LM Media Group, Inc.) has added a new subchannel, 14.2, which so far is infomercials. It is a channel for lease, according to my Tucson-area source. Perhaps Good News TV may finally succeed in getting a Tucson outlet? They've been trying to lease a channel in the Old Pueblo for several years.
- KTNV-TV 13.x Las Vegas NV (Scripps Broadcasting Holdings LLC) has begun airing Grit on channel 13.3, replacing Heroes & Icons.
- KVMY 21.x (2) Las Vegas NV (Channel 33, LLC) dropped Comet TV from channel 21.3 and replaced it with Heroes & Icons, then moved H&I to channel 21.1, moving Antenna TV to channel 21.4. Programming on channels 21.2 and 21.3 is unknown; there is no indication of any programming on those two subchannels.
- Meredith Corporation has added a Memorandum of Understanding to its applications to transfer control of its stations to Meredith Media General Corporation, following anticipated consummation of the merger with Media General. The Memorandum states that for the purposes of the incentive auction, the successor company would use Meredith's FRN and password associated with each station as of Dec. 8, 2015, and that the FCC will not liable for any use of the shared FRN and password. The Memorandum also binds the successor company to whatever actions are taken by Meredith on behalf of each station before consummation of the merger. KTVK 3.x (24) Phoenix, KPHO 5.x (17) Phoenix and KVVU-TV 5.x (9) Henderson NV are the only auction-eligible stations involved in the merger with potential viewers in Arizona.
- Media General has terminated its merger agreement with Meredith Corporation in favor of a new merger agreement with Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc. As a result, KTVK and KPHO and their translators will not be part of a Meredith Media General corporation, but instead, KASW 61.x (49) Phoenix and its owned translators K34EE-D Prescott/Cottonwood and K34EF-D Kingman, will be part of Nexstar Media Group. Meanwhile, Meredith Corporation will collect $60 million as part of the termination agreement.
- Ion Media Networks has filed a new restructuring plan, with a slight change to KPPX-TV 51.x Phoenix (America 51, LP). The licensee of KPPX will remain America 51, LP, reasons unknown. All other changes occur upstream in the ownership.
Construction permits and STAs granted
- FanVision Entertainment LLC has requested and granted an STA to operate a temporary TV station on channel 44 from March 8 through March 15 at Phoenix Int'l Raceway for events surrounding the Good Sam 500, scheduled to be run on March 13.
- KNBX-CD 31.x (14) Las Vegas NV (Mako Communications LLC) has been granted a license renewal following a settlement with the FCC in which Mako makes a "voluntary" donation to the FCC (in lieu of a penalty) and admits to not filing required children's programming reports during 2012.